Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Rainy September Day

If you've been following along on YouTube or the Rockfish Farm Facebook page you know we're taking a $500 grocery challenge in the month of September.

This will include toiletries for the household as well. We are a family of 4, and two of them being some heavy eating girls! Those girls can put away some food in those growing little bodies! Maybe this challenge isn't for you.  But every now and then I like to "edit" my bills. We spent a year building our new farmhouse- which included a lot "grabbing dinner on the go" and eating picnic style out at the building site. 




Now that we're here and settled it's time to get it under control. We spend way too much money on eating out, and I throw away wayyyyy too much food that has gone bad- so my challenge for this month is to use what I have and stick to a strict budget getting creative with my meals and having less waste. 

So, wouldn't ya know....Day 2 included thawing a pork loin that didn't thaw in time- and our minds immediately said "let's head into town for dinner"- um, did I mention we are allowing ourselves one night out of budget which is our 12 year anniversary at the end of the month. Any other time we eat out has to come from the grocery budget! 

So I brainstormed, checked my cabinets and said "no, no. I got this. I can pull this together!"  I just knew I wasnt ready to blow it on day 2 of the month. So, I hopped on the side by side and headed out to the garden....in the rain. I gathered some tomatoes and basil and another check in on "the girls" and gave them some split tomatoes as treats. 

I quickly pulled together a meal from my cabinet- homemade brushetta with tomatoes and basil from right here on Rockfish Farm. And, Fettuccine Alfredo with some leftover cream cheese- I feel like I never use the whole brick for bagels so this is the perfect leftover use! You can find the recipe HERE.



Now, there's football in the background on the living room tv, the children playing contently.....(maybe) and the husband is down playing on his new gaming computer. Now that's what I call a great rainy Saturday evening. And of course, there's always Pepper trying to get any extra attention she can! 







1 comment:

Farmhouse Front Porch Makeover

There's nothing like ending the day wrapped in a blanket, with a glass of wine overlooking the farm. This spot was definitely craving so...