Wednesday, October 6, 2021

October 2021 Farm & Garden Tour

One of my favorite months is finally here! Many of the blooms are still rockin' and rollin', so I figured I'd show you around! 
I put my pumpkin seeds in the ground a little late this year so they didn't get as large as they were supposed to, but all you see sitting around were grown here at Rockfish! 

The ferns still look great! 



The Little Lime Hydrangea has taken on it's fall colors! I leave them thru the winter for some winter interest as the snow falls on them.





These petunias. I grew them from seed last winter and I plan on doing it again - except quadrupling the amount I do. They have been AMAZING. They are huge and take hardly any water or care and have bloomed like this all summer. It's been such a great pop of color for up at the house. 

The front fencing is in, we're next working our way around the garden and the riding ring. 

It really separates the yard from the field and makes everything look complete. 


There's so much still in bloom. Most of what you're about to see was started from seed either over the winter inside or direct down early in spring. 

The amaranth will definitely be a repeat next year. It's gorgeous, huge, burgundy plumes really stand out in the garden and in arrangements. 


And the double cosmos? Yeah, repeating. Huge pollinator attraction. 


Benarys Giant Zinnias. They're a show stopper. The blooms were almost as big as my hand. The copper Celosia started to fade in September, but looks pretty as it dries out so I'm not yanking it out quite yet. 


Nothing says fall more than mums. When you get those mums for your front porch, make sure to plant them. They come back bigger each year and are beautiful fall color in the garden! 


This poor Autumn Joy Sedum has moved several times since I planted it. I just never had it in quite the right spot. But, it's definitely found it's home next to the coop. 


A little fairy garden under the Plum tree that was planted this summer. And yeah, that's toplling okra in the background. It dries really pretty on the stem and makes another great fall decor item. 


The Eden climber roses have put on quite a bit of growth since being planted earlier this spring. They will climb up over this trellis and cover it in blooms. It bloomed a little this spring - and they are GORGEOUS. They're like a creamy color with peachy centers. 


Here's a backed up view. By no means beautiful, but it will be when this area is complete. Stay tuned. 


The grape Vines did well this year. This was only their first year but there were a few clumps of grapes that formed. There's 3 types of seedless grapes in here plus a raspberry and a black berry. I've got two open spots so I'm going to plant more raspberries and blackberries next spring. Off the the left where you see the white posts are several types of blueberries - including a pink lemonade blueberry. And yes, it's pink. We're excited about these! 


Another not so exciting photo, but this is where "Christmas's Alley" is going in. Full of trees and bushes that can be clipped by friends and family (and myself) to make homemade Christmas wreaths and garlands! 


Got about ten pumpkins this year. I liked my setup, but the area needed some work. Writing my notes and next year will be even better. 
A little backed up view of the space. Lots more work to be done here, all of that grassy area will be raised beds and paths. 


This is the area we worked on this year. It's nice to have a spot that's not fully "under construction". 


Lemonade cosmos look great against the Deodar Cedar. 

And when your corn fails, at least it makes pretty fall decor. 


I keep several wire wreath frames in my basement so I can crank out projects like these! 
That Vertigo Pennisetum is the most beautiful grass. It gets huge, this is aactually an older picture so it's even bigger now. I've got sunflowers planted all around it and I will definitely repeat next year! 


This verbena bonariensis was started from seed indoors and will definitely start double next year. Hoping to gather these seeds soon! It is gorgeous! I'm actually hoping it reseeds itself right in this spot too!
And just behind the garden is our new riding ring. It has gotten a lot of use already and the fence isn't even up! We've got some happy girls here who are excelling in their riding. 


And the tour wouldn't be complete without a visit up to the road to show you one of my most favorite container combos I've ever done! They are GORGEOUS. A juniper tree in the center, black eyed susans at the back corners, some orange lantanas mixed with diamond frost Euphorbia....all of that takes over, but there is something spilling out over the front - which I cannot remember the name. But honestly not needed because of the size the Euphorbia and Lantana get. These are stunners. 


Well, this is it. The frost will soon come and the garden will go to sleep. And I'll sit inside by the fire with a cup of coffee and research seeds, and flowers and draw out plans on graph paper for Spring 2022. When the peach tree starts to bloom, it's time to bundle up, get outside and get to work. 

If you don't plow in the cold, you won't reap in the harvest. 

Well, what did you think? Do you plan all winter too? And, what are you planting this fall? I am hunting down some bulbs for a colorful spring show! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Farmhouse Front Porch Makeover

There's nothing like ending the day wrapped in a blanket, with a glass of wine overlooking the farm. This spot was definitely craving so...