Saturday, February 6, 2021

Oatmeal - the lactation superfood!


Cold mornings call for warm breakfasts. And when there's snow on the ground, the wind is blowing and you've got 22 animals needing breakfast you better buck up buttercup. 😜 


Honestly, I never was a huge oatmeal fan. But, I found out it was a lactation superfood! My milk starting going away at about 4 months after having Evie. I was so disappointed. I only made it three months with my other two girls and I was determined I was going to nurse Evie an entire year. So, I tried the oatmeal. And do you know what happened? My milk went NUTS. For those of you wanting to do the same, I also increased my water supply and for about 2-3 days I took the advice of my doctor and nursed every hour on the hour during the day. But, I will say I didn't do those things until I realized what the oatmeal did. Evie is 8 months and we're still going strong! 

So, how did I go from hating oatmeal, to actually loving it? Well, for one....consistency. I cannot have some watered down oatmeal. Here's how I make it.

1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp honey

Heat on stovetop until cooked to desired consistency about two minutes for me. Then I too it with chocolate chips. It's delicious. It's like a cookie. In fact, I need to go make a bowl right now just thinking about it! Enjoy! 

Have you been struggling with your milk supply? Have you given this a try? Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farmhouse Front Porch Makeover

There's nothing like ending the day wrapped in a blanket, with a glass of wine overlooking the farm. This spot was definitely craving so...