Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Food Lion Deals 5/1- 5/7

Starting tomorrow at Food Lion there's a few great deals that you want to pick up to help out your grocery budget.  I'm trying really hard to get my grocery budget back under control.  I haven't couponed in awhile (besides yesterday) so the past few months have been insanely expensive. Here are the deals:


  •  Limes, 20¢ ea.
  • Chicken Breasts Value Pack $1.79/lb
  • Boneless Chuck Roast $2.99/lb
  • Pepperidge Farm GoldFish $1.67
  • Ronzoni Pasta, 12-16 oz, 99¢
Manufacturer Coupon-$1/2 Ronzoni pasta portions (regional), SS 3/24
Manufacturer Coupon-$1/2 Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta (Facebook) PRINTABLE
Manufacturer Coupon-$1/2 Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta (regional), SS 4/28
(makes it 49¢ if included)



What to do with all those limes?

The limes are at a price where you would want to stock up for 6 months, but after doing some research on how to store all those limes, I don't recommend getting more than 3-4 months worth.  It turns out you can freeze the limes.  I love lime slices in my water.....and other choice drinks which I won't be having until NOVEMBER. :)  I'll survive.....

You can freeze limes whole, but apparently they will be a little mushy, but the juice will still be perfect.  You can also slice them and freeze them on a cookie sheet, and then once frozen place them in a freezer bag and they'll be perfect for throwing into your water....or your alcoholic beverage that I will dream about....  And lastly, you can go ahead and juice those limes and freeze the juice in ice cube trays and once they're frozen, pop them out into a freezer bag.  Fresh limes, all summer long, great price.

Chicken Breasts & Chuck Roasts

These are also at a price per pound where you would want to get 3 months worth.  Again, I only recommend about 3-4 months worth because I just don't like meat to be freezer burned at all.  These go on sale enough throughout the year where 3-4 months worth at a time is fine in my eyes.  Here's some of the recipes I'm thinking about trying with some of the chicken I plan on getting.

One of the things I'm thinking about doing is placing some of the chicken breasts in a freezer bag with homemade Neely's BBQ Sauce.  This recipe calls for this sauce to be cooked on the stove for an hour and fifteen minutes before using.  HAHA.  Did you laugh too?  I'm going to mix all ingredients in with the chicken and then just throw it in the freezer bag.  When I'm ready to cook, I'll thaw it out and then dump it in the freezer and hope it all turns out.  I feel like it will.  I hope it will.....

I also plan on cooking some of the chicken, shredding it in my food processor and then freezing it in one pound freezer bags so that it's ready to go for soups, chicken salad and casseroles. Saves me a step later when I'm ready to throw it all together.  Here's my favorite chicken salad recipe: Giada's Italian chicken salad! It's so good!  And, here's another recipe is like to try with some of this chicken: Chicken Picccata! Seems easy without a lot of ingredients!

And, you're about to find out the reason I started this collection of recipes.  There's a recipe SOMEWHERE on my computer, or pinterest or bookmark that I want to make for this chuck roast and it would be a little more "spring time-ish" than just making a beef stew with it.  So, when I come across it, I'll add it to my collection.

HERE it is!!!  Turns out I didn't have it saved anywhere, just came across it one day and decided I would remember where I found it.....I guess at that point I wasn't pregnant and still had a brain and thought I'd know exactly where to find it....That was then, this is now.  HOT & SPICY ITALIAN DRIP BEEF

Be sure to check your email to see if there's any Food Lion coupons to use on meat or produce this week.  If you're not signed up for their Shoppers Companion email, you can do it here.


Oh, and if you want to see all the deals this week at Food Lion with their coupon matchups visit TheSmartDollars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Farmhouse Front Porch Makeover

There's nothing like ending the day wrapped in a blanket, with a glass of wine overlooking the farm. This spot was definitely craving so...